Beaulieu

Beaulieu

Situated at the head of the Beaulieu River, the village dates back to the 13th century when the village grew up around the abbey, founded in 1204 by Cistercian monks on land given to them by King John, who had a royal hunting lodge at Beaulieu.
Following Henry VIII’s dissolution of the monasteries in the 1530s, Beaulieu passed into ownership of present Lord Montagu’s ancestors and has remained with the family ever since.

In the village of Beaulieu, there are many places to visit such as New Forest Activities, National Motor Museum and Buckler’s Hard and there is an interesting variety of village stores ranging from specialist gift and chocolate shops to art and craft many with a Brand New Forest offer.